Monday, June 22, 2009

Thanking God for a Great Dad!

Having just celebrated Father's Day, I've taken some time to consider the wonderful man who for nearly 38 years, I've called Dad. When I consider my own children and my attempts at being a good father, I realize with each passing day, that fatherhood is not easy. Most of the dads I know do their very best to be supportive, responsible, and even engaged in their kids lives and yet we live in a world where movies and television portrays husbands and fathers to be bumbling, stumbling, good for nothing idiots. When I was growing up, television portrayed dads with the images of Ward Cleaver, Charles Ingalls, Sheriff Andy Taylor, and John Walton. As I moved to my teenage years the image of the wholesome, responsible, disciplined father-figure shifted to men like Dr. Cliff Huxtable, Tony Micelli, and Dr. Jason Seaver. While these men offered structure and discipline the husband and father figure they portrayed were many times seen as funny and at times made laughable by their antics. As I grew into my 20s these men were replaced by Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor, and the worst portrayal of all Homer Simpson. Now days, the role of husband and father is portrayed in such a way that rarely does society show us a man who loves his wife, strives to raise his children and does it all in a manner that is responsbile, respectful, humble and honorable. If you are waiting for the media to teach your children how a father should really be, there is truly no example out there. So you better learn to be the man. . .

That's why today I'm so thankful. For all 38 years of my life, I've been so greatly blessed to have a wonderful example of how to be a great husband and a Godly father. I grew up in a home where I didn't have to rely on the prevailing society norms to tell me how to be a good dad or good husband. I didn't have to rely on Homer Simpson to show me how a man ought to treat his wife and kids. I wasn't forced to observe the tactics of Peter Griffin to know how to be a "Family Guy". No, I had the pleasure of observing Clyde Pavie, hard worker, good provider, lover of my mom, honest, truthful, a man of integrity, a man who loved others and was willing to help those that were in need. Most of all, he was a man who loved God and he taught me and my brothers to love Jesus Christ as well. My dad would work sometimes up to 3 jobs to take care of our family and yet he made sure he never missed my baseball games. He always managed to be home and eat dinner with us, even if it meant he drove 30 miles home before he returned to a second job. No matter how busy he was he always made sure that he took us to church on Sundays, Wednesdays and any other time the doors were open. In the process of all of that, my dad taught us to serve. He taught us to serve in the kingdom of God, not for notoriety, not for applause, but because there was a need and there were people who had yet to discover the joy of serving Jesus Christ.

I'm all grown now - I've got a wonderful wife and two kids of my own - thankfully I'm not stuck looking for an example. My dad continues to pour into me even now. He has continued to be a man of mercy and kindness. Whenever I'm in need of advice, a listening ear or someone to call a friend, my dad is always there. I've been so greatly blessed to have such a wonderful man in my life. Don't get me wrong - I know he's not perfect. What I love most about him is that he's not afraid to share his frailties and admit his imperfections. Qualities that I've had to utilize myself of late. I'm thankful I've had a great example in that as well. Learning of God's mercy from my wonderful Father has made me appreciate the mercy and forgiveness of Jesus Christ even more.

So now we live in the 21st century - the year 2009 and society portrays husbands and fathers as bumbling, stumbling, oafs who are laughed at because they are shown to be spineless, unfaithful, lazy buffoons. I pray that more children will find role models like my father - men who are worthy of the title Dad.

In closing - I'm reminded of a Gaither Vocal Band Song - it's always been one of my favorites. Notice the words:

What this dying world could use is a willing Man of God
Who dares to go against the grain and works without applause;
A man who'll raise the shield of Faith, protecting what is pure;
Whose love is tough and gentle; a man whose word is sure.

God doesn't need an Orator who knows what just to say;
He doesn't need authorities to reason Him away;
He doesn't need an army to guarantee a win;
He just needs a Few Good Men.

Men full of Compassion, who Laugh and Love and Cry-
Men who'll face Eternity and aren't afraid to die-
Men who'll fight for Freedom and Honor once again-
He just needs a Few Good Men.

He calls the broken derelict whose life has been renewed;
He calls the one who has the strength to stand up for the Truth.
Enlistment lines are open and He wants you to come in-
He just needs a Few Good Men.

Men full of Compassion, who Laugh and Love and Cry-
Men who'll face Eternity and aren't afraid to die-
Men who'll fight for Freedom and Honor once again-
He just needs a Few Good Men.


Let this blog serve as a call to every man - it's time to take a stand and be what God has called us to be - men of honor, men of integrity, men of respect. Let's be men, not as prescribed by Hollywood, but as lived out by those who have gone before - like my Dad. I love you POP - you are a great man and a great example and I pray that my son at the age of 38 would be able to say the same about me. - RP

2 comments:

  1. RP,
    This is AWESOME! Something you should print and send to your dad. I think he would be so humbled to read your sincere and heartfelt words!
    Very nicely done!
    lm~

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful and conveyed such sincere admiration for your dad! I am so pleased you are blogging and I look forward to reading every single post!

    ReplyDelete